Were You Involved In A Hit & Run?
Here in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, we experience a high volume of cars and traffic. Sadly we experience a high volume of hit & runs as well. A hit & run accident occurs when a vehicle hits either you, your vehicle, or your property, and instead of stopping and providing aid or insurance, the person illegally flees the scene. It can be a very traumatic experience that results in serious injuries.
What should you do if you have been involved in a hit and run?
- Take care of yourself. Try to remove yourself from harm’s way by putting on your hazards, moving to the curb, or if your car is unmovable getting out (if you’re able to) and moving to a safe location.
- Call the police. Under Texas law, hit & runs are illegal and taken very seriously. It is important to go on record with what you remembered happened.
- Take the medical help. Car accidents are serious. It is important to be examined because you might not be aware of the injuries that occurred in the accident. Again, your safety is the most important thing.
- Depending on your condition, try to get the contact information of anyone who might have witnessed the accident.
- Finally, contact a board-certified attorney. Hit and runs are complicated, it is important that you have an experienced attorney who can seek the compensation you deserve.
What are your claims?
Potential claims you might have are an uninsured motorist claim and personal injury protection (PIP) benefits against your policy. If the other driver is found, you could pursue both negligence and gross negligence claims against the driver (his insurance) for your injuries and your property. An attorney should look at your individualized case and decide with you what claims you are wanting to pursue.
Why it’s important to contact a board-certified attorney after a hit & run?
Car accidents are complex, there are a lot of people and entities that can be involved. An experienced attorney can fight on your behalf to find the right insurance coverage and claim for you. Car accidents are not usually quick to recover from, it takes time and resources. Personal injury attorney’s already have access to many of these resources and know how to proceed to try and make this as easy on you as possible.
If you or someone you know has been involved in a hit & run, please contact us. We can answer any questions that you might have relating to your accident.